Monday 4 May 2009

Holy Crap, best lunch ever


So, Brit (my room-mate) has decided she needs to loose a bunch of weight before short season and has set herself a fairly sizable goal. Being as she kinda has strange eating habits, and issues, I've been charged with meal planning. Actually, meal planning is not something we've really been doing, just kinda randomly eating whatever we want.

So in line with the fact that May is 'Stick to your budget, and your diet' month, I've actually gone and made an actual meal plan. It's been crazy. But today for lunch was an amazing mixture of delicious and yum. Today was chickpea salad and broccoli soup. Soup and salad for lunch? Who would have ever thought!

Chickpea salad is as follows:
  • One can of chickpeas, drained
  • 3 T of finely chopped red onion
  • 1 garlic clove, smashed
  • juice of a lime
  • one rib of celery finely chopped
  • 2 T of soft tofu mashed up or 1T of mayo (or something like that)
  • salt, pepper, whatev other stuff you usually put in tune/egg/potato salad
  • a handful of lettuce
  • a handful of tomato, chopped or whatev
  • a handful of cucumbers, chopped up
In a bowl, mash up the chickpeas with everything other than the lettuce, tomato and cucumber. In whatever bowl/container you're going to eat it out of, add the lettuce, tomato and cucumbers. Whenev you're ready to eat it, add the chickpea mixture on top of the lettuce mixture. Holy yum. Seriously? Other than the bad breath, with which to offend my colleagues? Perfecto.

Broccoli soup I've posted about before. Together is a delicious lunch extravaganza full of fiber and with tons of fat fighting potential.

I'm also on a 'bring your lunch to work' thing. So this is day 4 in a row, and so far it's managed to actually do good things for our afternoon. And I've learned that a salad only option is going to leave me totally hangry later in the day. I have a massive craving for a tunafish sandwhich, but that's so sadly out. But tuna salad? I can totally do that...perhaps tomorrow.

Claire came over last night and we had some delicious bean and mushroom burgers. It's pretty much exactly what you would expect them to be made of, and they'll be on the salad sometime later this week. Oh yeah, we ate them last night with a lettuce 'bun'.

When did the lettuce 'bun' become an ok substitute. That's totally a girl/diet thing right? I obv can't eat it, but don't other people want to rebel against the lettuce 'bun'? I want to try for a polenta 'bun'. I'm going to think about it. What about a polenta toad-in-the-hole? Oh holy crap I'll bet that would be good...so on the breakfast list.

OK, I'm going to get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment