Friday 10 April 2009

My Name is Clam

Way back in '07, the first time I went to Estados Unidos otherwise known as Ame-rica, the people in Starbucks couldn't figure out what my name was. They asked for my name after I'd paid so they could yell it out once my giant coffee was ready and I told them and got some really confused looks, then was asked again, and again, and then it was decided my name was Clam. 

In Australia we speak with a very flat nasal "a" sound, whereas the Estados crew have the Big R sound and big A so announcing my name in my Australian twangy, unlovely accent was heard as "Clam", and incidentally, I find clams delicious. Was I compelled to nibble on myself after accepting my new name - surprisingly no. But we do like to go down to the market nearby and grab some to cook up. 


Easiest recipe ever, and provided guests eat shellfish, this one is ALWAYS a hit. 

To make, prep some veggie stock, then cook a load of finely chopped garlic, chillies, and shallots, put it all together in a pot and get it boiling, add some white wine and a pile of clams (we usually do a kilo-kilo and a half) and cover for 8 mins, until most of the clams have opened up. Spoon out large clumps of clams and eat with salad and a baguette for dunking in the broth. Discard all clams that haven't opened up.
 





Inspired by the fabulous justbento blog I took this photo of my staple salad. Adapted from a Susan V. salad, from the point at which this photo was taken you can go in all sorts of directions - adding big gorgeous borlotti beans, tuna, shrimp, semi-dried tomatoes, black kalamatta olives, banana (for the fruit fiends, ahem), lentils, brown rice - anything!!!! This morning I made a kick-ass dressing made with sliced and chopped garlic, honey and white vinegar. All that was missing was hummus which I have the hardest-corest-craziest craving for today. Mack-damn-it I am so hungry for some hummus. Making some later. Will be worth the wait.  

It's hot and we've been getting our summer drink on. Hanging out on the verandah (deck, patio, whatever) drinking wine and cold beer in the afternoons. LOVING IT! Fab weekend vibes sending out to yall. XClam  

No comments:

Post a Comment