Wednesday 4 March 2009

Brittany and the case of the missing fiber

So, I made something delicious the other day for dinner. My roomie, does not like to eat vegetables that much, and although she loves healthy food, sometimes you have to hide the fact that she's eating it from her. So I made up some delicious extra-fiber/protien potatoes which are also awesome due to the fact that you can also...OMG!!! I just had the best idea ever. You can also turn them into something called 'champ' which is like...the most delicious/decadant mashed potatoes ever and it would totally be (slightly) a healthy version.



Here's what you need for Brittany's fibery mashed potatoes:



1 can of white beans (3/4 drained)

2 medium potatoes (cubed)

1 clove garlic

1 small onion (chopped into bitty pieces)

some sage, or rosemary or some kind of herb mixture you like

salt/pepper



1. Boil the potatoes and the garlic clove until soft, then drain

2. Fry the onions in a bit of oil, add the herbs, fry a bit more until the onions are soft and translucent.

3. Add the beans and the liquid leftover and fry for a while, until you feel like it's time to start smushing them around. I waited about five minutes to cook them, then started smushing.

4. Add the cooked potatoes and the garlic, and continue smushing and cooking it all together until you're satisfied with the mixture.



If it gets too dry, you could add some stock I suppose, or milk, or whatever suits your fancy. The point is you want enough bean juice that you don't have to add more liquid.



CHAMP!!!!



1 bowl of Brittany's Fibery Potatoes

1 T (yes, that's a T and not a t) of butter

a bunch of blue cheese



With the resulting mashed potatoes in a bowl, make a little well in the top and put the butter in it. It will be like a delicious butter/potato volcano. Then add the blue cheese around the crater like rocks. If you like you can make some little passages for butter to run over the potatoes like LIQUID HOT MAGMA.



When you eat it, you're supposed to have a forkfull of mashed potato, some cheese, and then dip it in the butter. Holy crapola I haven't had that in years.



I didn't take pictures because we ate it too fast. Next time I make it (soon!) I will.



Claire I miss you!!!! I'm eating a really small banana and I'm going to eat strawberries soon and then have way way way too much energy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment